Friday, March 21, 2008

Stones of Rememberance


This is the man who taught me to fish :). Notice the bluegill on the line? *grin* That was probably the first fish I ever caught. Everything about this picture is adorable to me - the Reebok tennis shoes with the black socks - those familiar slacks that he would wear - the huge glasses to help with the sunlight in his eyes, the trucker's hat - and above all - the pocket protector in his shirt pocket for his pens and his glasses. This man, not perfect by any means, is the reason why so much in my life is right today. My mother had an even greater deal to do with it, with all of her praying and striving to keep me out of trouble :). But I saw this picture, and after thinking about so many things tonight, I am reminded once again of just how good God really is. Time and time again I find myself getting worried about situations - what's going to happen next, am I making the right decision, have I really ruined my life - and so many times, God must be looking down at me and shaking his head - frustrated, maybe, but a longing gentle smile on his face - "My child, why do you worry and plan what I've already worked out with my own loving hand?"

And that's what tonight has been for me - a remembrance, a reminder - of how all the times I've made horrible decisions, the Lord has been true to his word and worked them out for my good. I can look back in so many different situations and see how God has worked - even when I didn't deserve it - and still taken care of things for me. Who am I to worry?

How humbling, but how PEACEFUL it is to realize that He truly has everything in his hands - my job really is to sit back and simply enjoy the ride as best as I can - waiting on him and not trying to force things myself. I know others may have the exact opposite problem, needing God to make them take a move - but I've always gone ahead, trying to orchestrate things that really didn't need my help at all *grin*.

So tonight I write because I feel such a peace - such a happiness about my wonderful Savior - I'm not saying I have things worked out - that I won't stop worrying, but I'm going to try to keep this remembrance, like the Israelites did with the 12 stones, I believe, when the red sea parted, so that I am always reminded of God's provision and his ability to make things work out for my good.

No comments: